Just 3MD

Just 3MD

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Mr. Darcy

Yes. Stop blinking your eyes and close your mouth. I'm back. Again. I told you I would be so be nice and let's get this started shall we?

Since moving into the rental we now call home Noah and B have their own rooms. Oh happy day! Well, Mr. Little didn't have any furniture other than a crib and a cubby thing I bought at Target. You know the ones. They are made from cheap fiber board, have a piece of cardboard you tack to the back and then insert fabric totes in them. Sigh. Yes, I fell victim once when they were on sale. Don't judge me.

Anyway, while perusing the local Goodwill I stumbled across this guy.
Photobucket

We shall call him Mr. Darcy because I loved his figure, his solid frame and that he was only $30. The drawers pulled easy, nothing was broken and he would fit in with the ideas I had in my head. I quickly hailed a Sales Associate who stuck a PAID sticker on it and I came back a few minutes later in Rick's truck. When I got him home, I'm sad to say, he sat in the back of the truck for a few days until we moved him into the garage. Where he sat for another few days. Until this morning! I had the itch to get a hold of that dresser and make him as handsome as I could. After all, he was covered in 20+ years of varnish and it looked like some child had a very good attempt at fingernail art in the drawer fronts. It didn't seem fair to leave him that way any longer.

Photobucket

Photobucket

No mind. With my trusty hand sander

Photobucket

and some elbow grease

Photobucket

I got him all sanded down and shiny again. I have to admit, I paused for a moment wondering if I should just stain him. Nah! I wanted to give the old guy some character so after a quick wash in this stuff

Photobucket

I was thinking I made the right choice. See?

Photobucket

Paint washes bring me back to Huck Finn and the fence. Washes look so good on a number of things but personally I like it better on a boys furniture than the chippy style you see. That's more of my Miss Little. OK, I'm rambling now. Why didn't you tell me? Back to Mr. Darcy.

I originally wanted to do the pulls in rope but since Rick needed it out of the garage I decided on these small white knobs.

Photobucket

They were already white, came with the screw and cost a measly $.99! WOO HOO! So after attaching the I had Mr help me carry in my new found friend and place him inside Noah's room.

Photobucket

No, he's not perfect but what is? I see perfect as stuffy and normal and well, here at 4530 we are anything but perfect and this big guy fits in quite nicely.

Oh Mr. Darcy how I love thee. You hold all of Mr Little's things and look so distinguished doing so.

No comments: